Regardless of how old your kitchen is, the task of re-designing and remodeling this important area of the home or office can be quite daunting.
In a luxury environment, a kitchen typically becomes obsolete within only two years. In a modest home, a kitchen can become obsolete within five years.
The following tips will help you to achieve your kitchen remodeling goals comfortably, stress free, and on budget.
Select the Best Remodeling Team
Study the marketplace and choose a builder / remodeler who has experience, referrals, and knowledge. Remodeling presents many challenges and nuances that can be expertly navigated by selecting the best builder for your needs.
- Consult with friends, neighbors, and relatives for recommendations.
- Many folks go online to study the best remodelers.
- Start by interviewing two or three top choices. Prepare a series of questions for your interviews:
- How long have you been in business?
- What sets you apart from the competition?
- Please explain your design build process?
- What licenses do you maintain?
- What certifications do you have?
- What awards have you won?
- Are you on time?
- Are you on budget?
- Who are your in-house team members?
- What are your in-house team qualifications?
- Who are the members of your vendor team?
- What are their qualifications?
- Who are members of your sub-contractor team?
- What are their qualifications?
- What price-range remodeling jobs have you completed?
- How long will it take to complete my kitchen design and remodel?
- How often will we meet to review the project through completion?
- Do you provide financing?
- What is your post-sale customer service policy?
- Who are your last five customers and their contact information?
- Can you share a list of referrals with contact information?
- After you have compared the companies interviewed, make your decision, sign an agreement, and begin the project.
Make sure you clearly understand payment terms before signing on the dotted line.
Also, make sure to review and understand every clause within the agreement. If you do not understand a clause(s) within the agreement, seek legal help from an attorney who practices real estate law.
Changes after the final plan has been created and materials have been ordered can create increased pricing and time delays. Make sure to get a signed addendum from all parties for any changes.
Make sure there is a certified designer and/or architect, engineer, cabinet designer and interior designer working with the remodeler/builder to help prepare the best plan. By integrating these perspectives into the design process, a cost effective, efficient, and aesthetically pleasing plan will emerge.
While designing the plan, please consider:
- Structural Engineering
- Universal Design
- Energy Star Certification
- Indoor airPLUS Certification
- Water Sense Certification
- Health and Wellness Certification
Upon the completion of the design, it is time to bid the project to the vendors and subcontractors. It is recommended to have your remodeler/builder have a minimum of three bids for each trade and product designed for the project.
Upon completion of the bidding process, it is important to compare each bid. Price is an important variable, as well as time-to-completion, and warranty. Take note of all of these points with your remodeler/builder.
Path to Completion
Have the remodeler/builder prepare a schedule of events from start through completion. This timetable must be reviewed weekly and updated to ensure that the schedule is maintained and/or changed to accommodate changes to the project.
Changes might include:
- Labor shortages
- Order Changes
Ensure all financing has been arranged to make payments to the remodeler / builder in accordance with the agreement.
The remodeler / builder will ensure that all vendors and subcontractors will be paid in a timely and agreeable manner.
Should payments not be made in a timely manner, vendors and subcontractors may resign. Should this situation occur, pricing will likely increase in addition to a major delay for the project completion.
Financial sources are cash, re-financing, selling assets, and personal loans.
Progress and Completion
Throughout the course of project development, expect a series of meetings with the remodeler/builder and appropriate professional team members to ensure that the approved plan is completed as agreed.
Once the work has been completed satisfactorily, warranty issues are satisfied, the customer knows how to use all of the remodel features, it is time to celebrate!
The remodeling process can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. Working with an experienced professional like Jackson Design Build will help you achieve your dream kitchen without the nightmares.
Contact Jackson Design Build to put your remodel in motion today!
S. Robert August, President, North Star Synergies, Inc., is one of the most distinguished, award-winning marketing, management, and sales strategists in the world. Robert has helped merchandise more than $30 billion of residential, resort, retail, recreational, commercial, institutional, industrial, and governmental real estate, as well as other business products and services.